Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Page updated as of March 30, 2020.


  • Where can faculty & staff find additional information on distance working and teaching?

    Please see find the most up-to-date information on the Faculty & Staff information page.

  • Will campus remain open? Should faculty and staff work remotely?

    Campus will remain open with changes to access (campus access guidelines are available here.) but students, faculty and staff should not come to campus unless it is absolutely necessary.

    Deans have provided information and guidance to support remote course delivery and continuity of needed student services. As of the March 15 announcement, faculty and staff have been moved to a remote-working arrangement. Employees needed on campus to perform essential services are notified by their supervisors and follow staggered schedules and workplace arrangements that promote appropriate social distancing. Leaders should identify Essential Employees so Human Resources and Environmental Health and Safety can maintain a log of all colleagues who are regularly reporting to campus. Updates to the list should also be provided through the form, as essential employee designations may change as the situation evolves.

    Employees who are not designated to provide essential services should remain at home, even if their work cannot be performed remotely. If a colleague must come to campus, they should discuss the need with their unit head or supervisor, who should then inform Melissa Clodfelter ( Additional details are available on the Faculty & Staff Information page.

  • What guidance should essential employees and their supervisors follow for their work?

    Your supervisor will notify you if you are considered an essential employee. Essential employees and their supervisors should follow industry-specific COVID-19 guidelines, including resources published by the Department of Labor and the Department of Health & Human Services, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food & Drug Administration. WFU general safety precautions and employee exposure classifications are available on the Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) website. Employees who are deemed essential should send questions about health and safety guidelines to, and a colleague in EHS will respond. Contact your supervisor for guidance if you have questions.

    At Wake Downtown, only research personnel defined as essential for maintaining organisms or equipment (or carrying out limited, time-sensitive or funding-restricted research) will be allowed to enter the building using their external/internal card readers. These personnel have been vetted by department chairs and Environmental Health and Safety.

  • I am a new hire. How should I complete my I-9 since the University moved to a remote work arrangement?

    New hires should contact Human Resources AskHR at (336) 758-4700 or to  schedule their I-9 completion.

  • What changes have been made regarding campus access? 

    Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines announced a “stay at home” order that went into place March 27. On March 30, a statewide “stay at home” order goes into effect for all North Carolina residents. The statewide order will last 30 days and end on April 29.

    Faculty and staff have been directed to work remotely. Only essential faculty and staff, and students who are approved to live on campus will be allowed on campus.

    Reynolda Village and Reynolda Gardens are open for visitors; however, visitors should keep 6-feet away from one another in compliance with the city and state-wide “stay at home” orders. Access to campus using paths from Reynolda Gardens or Reynolda village is prohibited except for essential faculty and staff, and students who are allowed on campus.

    All campus tours, visits and information sessions have been discontinued until further notice.

    Please read this message on the “stay at home orders” and how they will impact campus.

  • Will food service be available for students who need to remain on campus?

    Take-out meals only are available. Visit the Hospitality and Auxiliary Services website for information on what venues are open and the hours of operation. Information is also available at

  • Many are concerned about the financial welfare of those whose jobs rely on students living on campus. How is the University helping?

    The University is working with the food service workers’ employer, ARAMARK, on meeting workers’ needs. ARAMARK has been Wake Forest’s partner for more than a decade. In addition, Wake Forest has started a Crisis Response Fund, and many conversations continue to take place about how to care for all members of our community. Wake Forest is doing everything possible to help our hourly workers. Please know that work continues.

  • Will there be shuttle service for students and employees who need to remain on campus?

    Effective as of March 23, shuttle operations, including on-call shuttle services, have been discontinued until further notice. Visit the Hospitality and Auxiliary Services website for additional information.

  • What changes have been made to mail service?

    Wake Forest Mail Services lobby is closed.

    Faculty/Staff: DeaconOne card/Staff ID access will be available to the Benson Center & PO Boxes.

    Courier service will occur once daily to those departments that have requested special arrangements with Mail Services. These arrangements can be made by calling 336.758.5281 or emailing  Meri Silveri at The courier service will include inter-campus mail and packages only.

    Outgoing mail should be of an emergency or critical nature only.

    Faculty, staff and students, if you need to mail a package via USPS, UPS or FedEx, the appropriate supplies and drop-off bin will be available inside the foyer of Benson. Please enter the building through the door located on the parking lot C side. Supplies will be located between the two sets of doors at the entrance of Benson.   You will be required to complete a contact form so Mail Services can contact you for payment purposes for USPS, UPS and FedEx packaging.

    Students:  If you need to pick-up a package, you can meet our team in the same location mentioned above. Please note: you will need to contact Mail Services ahead of time. This service will be available Monday, Wednesday, & Friday from 1-3 p.m.

    Visit the Hospitality and Auxiliary Services website for additional information.

  • What services are available through the ZSR Library?

    As of Friday, March 27 at 5 p.m., the Library will no longer be able to fill requests to pull from the physical collection or scan portions of physical texts. This move further reduces the potential exposure for library workers, housekeeping staff, and others who still remain on campus. It also helps conserve much-needed cleaning supplies such as gloves, wipes, and sanitizer. While ZSR as a building is closed, our remote services and support for electronic resources continue. If you have any questions, please email or call 336-758-4931.

  • Is the University bookstore open?
    Effective Wednesday, March 25, the University Bookstore is closed until further notice. The Wake Forest University Stores website will remain operational to accommodate customer shopping needs.
  • How should employees capture costs associated with planning and responding to COVD-19?

    Please see guidance from the Financial Services website.


  • Will University events be canceled?

    Effective immediately, Wake Forest is postponing, cancelling or virtualizing any University-sponsored in-person event for the rest of the semester.

  • What is happening with Commencement 2020?

    The recent stay at home orders implemented for both the City of Winston-Salem and the State of North Carolina, along with continuing public health guidance, mean that our normal ceremony cannot take place as scheduled. We realize this is disappointing news, and the entire Wake Forest community shares in our graduates’ sadness about the postponement of our traditional Commencement ceremony on May 18. 

  • What plans are in place for an alternative Commencement?

    We will soon address plans to celebrate our graduates’ accomplishments in an email specific to each undergraduate, graduate or professional school. 

    We will be in touch to seek input that will help shape the postponed Commencement experience. In general, you can anticipate two things:

    • A virtual conferring of degrees on May 18
    • An in-person Commencement ceremony when it is safe to gather in large numbers (undergraduate, graduate and professional schools will each tailor a ceremony to meet the needs of their respective students)
  • What about athletic events?

    The Atlantic Coast Conference has suspended all athletic related activities including all competition, formal and organized practice, recruiting and participation in NCAA championships until further notice. The decision was made following consultation with the league’s presidents and athletic directors to mitigate the further spread of COVID-19.


  • I’m living on campus and feel sick. How do I access healthcare?

    Students in the Winston-Salem area can call Student Health Service for further guidance. In the event that you develop severe symptoms, you should call 911 or call Wake Forest Baptist Emergency Department before traveling there.

    Student Health Service is available Monday-Friday from 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Nurse triage is available after hours. Please call (336) 758-5218.

  • I live on campus. What should I do if I experience a health emergency?

    If you believe that you are experiencing an emergency, you should call 911.

  • I live on campus. Will I still be able to go to the University Counseling Center? 

    The University Counseling Center (UCC) recognizes the impact that the COVID-19 public health crisis is having on our campus community and is still available to continue providing services to students of WFU.  However, to protect the welfare of both students and UCC staff, there will be a shift to teletherapy services during this unprecedented event.

  • How do I access University Counseling Center support remotely? 

    With all of these changes, you may be experiencing a higher level of anxiety, and your mental health is important to us. The University Counseling Center will continue to support you; they have simply shifted how they deliver those services, now through phone consultations and video conferencing. As always, the UCC’s phone line will continue to act as a Crisis Line after normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 5 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. EDT and 24/7 on weekends) and can be accessed by students located anywhere in the world. Contact the UCC here.

  • If I'm back home, will I have access to telehealth options from my Wake Forest University Counseling Center and/or Student Health Service provider?

    Students with questions concerning follow-up visits, medication refills, chronic medical conditions, and psychiatry should call the Student Health Service to discuss their needs. (336-758-5218).

  • Does my student health insurance (“Student Blue”) cover my use of tele-health options for non-Wake providers?

    Yes. Students should call HealthLine Blue 1-877-477-2424. They can talk to a nurse 24/7 to get timely information and help on a number of health related issues. Nurses are on hand in both English and Spanish. We are currently unsure to what extent StudentBlue covers tele-behavioral health. However, StudentBlue does offer coverage for off-campus mental health providers face-to-face.

  • How does COVID-19 (coronavirus) spread?

    The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has the most up-to-date information on How Coronavirus Spreads.

  • What preventive steps can I take? What is social distancing? Should I wear a face mask?

    There is currently no vaccine for the novel coronavirus. However, the CDC recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like coronavirus.

    The CDC defines social distancing as remaining out of congregate settings, avoiding mass gatherings, and maintaining distance (approximately 6 feet) from others when possible.

    Face masks should be worn by people who show signs of COVID-19 or other influenza-like illnesses to reduce the spread of virus into the air through coughing or sneezing. Facemasks are currently in short supply and healthcare facilities have been impacted. The general public should avoid purchasing facemasks to help conserve this protective equipment for healthcare facilities.

  • Can I get COVID-19 from surfaces?

    Research about COVID-19 helps us to learn more about the virus transmission each day. Some studies indicate the virus can survive on surfaces for various lengths of time dependant on the material of the surface and weather (temperature and humidity). While it is possible to contract illness from surfaces, the CDC does not report this is the primary way in which the virus is transmitted. To protect yourself from the virus, the CDC recommends frequent hand washing after handling items and cleaning commonly touched surfaces regularly to disinfect your home or workspace. For the most up-to-date information, visit the CDC website.

  • What should I do if I think I have been exposed to coronavirus? What are the symptoms?

    If you believe you have been exposed to a known or suspected case of COVID-19 at any point, please contact your local health department or your primary health care provider. You should self-isolate until otherwise advised by local public health officials. Seek medical attention if you experience fever, cough or difficulty breathing. It is recommended that those who think they may have been exposed call ahead before going to their primary care physician or an emergency room.

    If you are living on campus and think you may have been exposed to COVID-19 or develop symptoms, you should contact Student Health Service (336) 758-5218. It is important that you call ahead to Student Health Service and describe your symptoms and how you may have been exposed. Visit the CDC website to learn more about the symptoms of COVID-19.

    While cough and fever are typical symptoms, concerning symptoms include, but are not limited to:

    • Trouble Breathing (Shortness of breath)
    • Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
    • New confusion or inability to arouse
    • Bluish lips or face

    Any of the above symptoms need to be immediately reported to a healthcare provider or if severe by calling 911. Again, it is imperative that you call ahead and not just show up at a healthcare facility. Healthcare staff needs to be prepared to provide you with appropriate care.

  • What if I want to get tested for COVID-19?

    The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services recommends we move from containment to mitigation. This shift means that we will focus testing on patients with severe symptoms and those that require hospital admission. Most patients with mild symptoms do not need to be tested and can be evaluated by a telehealth visit (e-visit) with Student Health. More information is available on the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services website.

  • What’s the problem with being tested?

    The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has advised the following concerns with testing patients with symptoms that are not severe (fever and cough without shortness of breath, confusion or persisting chest pain)

    • There is no treatment for COVID 19. Therefore, a test result would not change the treatment or management of patients who are well enough to stay home to recover
    • Patients coming into a medical provider office or ER are exposing others (including healthcare workers) to their illness during travel to a medical facility
    • Specimen collection for testing requires medical providers to wear PPE (personal protective equipment). There is currently a shortage of PPE and it is important to conserve PPE for care of our sickest patients who need to be hospitalized.
    • Most patients with symptoms of COVID 19 can be safely assessed by a telehealth visit (video visits). Those determined to need further in-person evaluation would be recommended to do so during that visit.
  • Do I need to go to the hospital if I have or suspect I have COVID-19?

    Most patients do not need hospitalization and will recover on their own without medical intervention. Patients living on campus will be isolated in a single room with an attached bathroom and followed closely by Student Health. Food and basic necessitates will be provided by Residence Life and Housing and Student Health Service will follow these students on a daily bases. The CDC provides a list of “10 ways to manage respiratory symptoms at home.”

  • Will I be informed what students have COVID-19?

    Students who are suspected to have or are diagnosed with COVID-19 will be isolated. Their personal identifying information (name, location, etc) will not be provided by the University or Student Health Service. Any close contacts will be traced and contacted. Students with COVID-19 will not be permitted to leave their room or mingle with anyone else during isolation and face disciplinary action if they break isolation.

  • What are isolation protocols?

    The Center for Disease Control and Prevention offers this FAQ on home quarantine guidance for close contacts to COVID-19. This guidance is for people who were in close contact with someone with coronavirus disease.

    At Wake Forest, students living on campus will be provided a single room with a private bathroom. Students are not permitted to leave their rooms while in isolation unless seeking healthcare, which will be provided remotely. Students are not permitted to socialize in person or be in close contact with anyone on campus.

    Student Health Service will contact students daily and are available to answer any questions. Residence Life and Housing will provide food daily.


  • For someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19, what are the requirements to be released from isolation?

    Individuals who are diagnosed with COVID-19 can return to normal activities (released from isolation) when they can answer YES to all of the following questions:

    • Has it been at least 7 days since you first had symptoms?
    • Have you been without fever for three days (72 hours) without any medicine for fever?
    • Are your other symptoms improved?

    See “Isolation Protocol: Student Health Service and Residence Life and Housing” for more information.

  • Is it safe for students diagnosed with COVID-19 to remain on campus?

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend strict home isolation for all patient diagnosed with COVID-19 that do not have severe symptoms requiring medical intervention. Only patients with severe symptoms need to be hospitalized. We expect that cases of COVID-19 will continue to rise and our healthcare system may become inundated, this makes home isolation of mild cases essential.

  • What treatment is available?

    Most patients will recover on their own without any specific treatment. Although new therapies are being tested, in the absence of severe symptoms and hospitalization these therapies are not appropriate. For most patients without severe symptoms we will recommend rest, fluids, warm steam and acetaminophen (Tylenol). Again, any student with concerns about exposure to or having COVID-19 should contact Student Health Service for guidance.

  • What can I do to keep myself and the Wake Forest campus safe?

    For the most up-to-date information on how to keep yourself and others safe, see How to Protect Yourself on the CDC coronavirus website.


  • Can I come to campus now to move my belongings?

    Wake Forest will continue to put the safety and health of students, their families and University staff among our top priorities. The University asks students and families NOT to travel to our Winston-Salem campus to retrieve personal belongings. Access to residence halls is currently restricted to those currently approved to be living on campus.

    On March 27, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper issued a “stay at home” order that runs through April 29. This order is in addition to the “stay at home” order issued earlier in the week by the mayor of Winston-Salem. These orders restrict travel and activities throughout the state with exceptions for essential activities as defined by these orders.

  • When can I move out?

    On or before April 30, we will send an update about plans regarding retrieval of personal belongings, as well as options for storage of such belongings.

  • Where can I get the most up-to-date information on moving out of my residence hall?

    The most up-to-date information on moving out of residence halls is available on the Residence Life and Housing FAQ website.

  • How will the housing selection process for 2020-2021 work?

    The Residence Life and Housing team continue to work on the housing selection process. We do not yet have a timeline for when selection will take place, but as we move towards a decision Residence Life and Housing will continue to be in touch with residential students directly via email.

    • Your housing selection position will remain intact, although we will assign you a different date and time when those are finalized
    • We will still plan for students with medical accommodations and for those living in fraternity/sorority housing, specialty housing (i.e. Gender Neutral, Quiet Living, Substance Free), and Residential Engagement Communities.
    • Whenever selection does occur, we will be sure to provide a variety of support options, which will be dictated by the University’s status and public health guidance at that time.

    For questions regarding the housing selection process, contact Kristy Eanes, coordinator of assignments at


  • Did Wake Forest suspend all study away programs? 

    All Spring 2020 WFU-sponsored semester study abroad programs and study away programs, including Wake Washington and Wake West, have been suspended. Students are completing the remainder of the term remotely.

  • What will happen with study abroad programs this summer (updated) and fall?

    The University has made the difficult decision to cancel all WFU-sponsored study abroad programs for Summer 2020.

    We realize that this will come as disappointing news to many of you, and we share your sadness about the loss of this particular educational opportunity. However, please know that health and safety are our primary concerns, and this decision was made with that in mind. Similarly, it is our hope that this earlier cancellation than initially anticipated will reduce some of the uncertainty you may be feeling about your plans for the summer.

    All program deposits made to WFU will be refunded to your student accounts. Similarly, any scholarship funds awarded by GPS will revert back to the University. If you have made any program-related flight arrangements, then contact the airlines directly to make the necessary adjustments to your travel plans.

    As was shared in this message on Fall 2020 study abroad/away updates on 3/17/20, all Fall 2020 programs (Wake Forest-sponsored and Affiliate) are running as planned.

  • What options are available for students unable to return home?

    Reynolda Campus housing was made available for students with exceptional circumstances.


Frequently Asked Questions
Faculty & Staff
On Campus
Mental Health

Latest information

COVID-19 Guidance
Local information